Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Haiti/DR - Education Leadership - Jan 12-20, 2016

January 13, 2016

Today we took a lovely 20 minute truck ride and were dropped off at a safe site for a lovely 50 minute uphill hike to a Mission Possible school.  We hiked over a rough terrain of rock and small creeks, as we dodged pack mules, people, and motorcycles.  All people, young and old, were carrying their wares to sell.  I saw banana leaves that could be used for the bottom of a broom with a handle that was carved roughly from a small tree.   Other items were fruits like papayas, banana, and mangoes.  Other items sold were bark, candy, popcorn, noodles.  The students at the MP school went through three stations being taught by adults that had gone through a leadership program.  We assisted with any station we wished.  Stations were fitness, hygiene, and nutrition.  I assisted with the fitness and the kids 1st – 6th  enjoyed all of the fun from their instructors.

In the afternoon, we taught fitness to teachers that taught in grades Preschool-6.  What fun it was to share our time with these new and experienced teachers, our favorite class of the day! PE!  PE is not a spectator sport and the teachers were totally engaged.  A great time!

-Judy Pelphrey.







January 15, 2016

For starters, I cannot believe today is our last day in Haiti! It can’t be possible that time has flown by this quickly! I guess this means I’m meant to come back on another trip: prepare yourself mom! ;)

A moment that has really stuck with me the most was when our group went to the school Degeance, a school that’s a forty minute hike and a very rocky twenty minute truck ride from a main road in Haiti. As the rest of my team was busy teaching the children certain topics, Rene and I had gone into the preschool classroom and began having fun of our own. All I’ve learned how to say is “good morning”, “what is your name”, and “my name is Abbey”, so clearly there was a communication barrier between the children and I. Yet, they didn’t care, and we quickly started playing little games with them. At one point, I looked down and saw that the kids were laughing at a little boy (though they tried to explain why they were laughing, I had no idea what was going on). I quickly scooped him up into my arms and held him. For the next twenty minutes, Rene and I sang songs with the children, laughed, took pictures, and enjoyed being with them, and all the while this little boy clung to me so that I didn’t put him down. He let me love on him, laugh with him, and dance with him despite the fact that I was a stranger.

Looking at it from the perspective of the child, his teacher had just simply left the classroom to talk to our leaders and strange white people were now standing before him with no way of communication. His friends were laughing at him, and as a child of that age, he probably wanted to just go home and cry. But, thankfully enough, he took to the stranger and clung on for comfort. He had no idea who I was, what I’ve done in my life, or what my personal intentions were for that afternoon, yet he liked me. I had not done anything exceptionally outstanding to make them want to be my friend, and yet despite all of that, he still took to me.  

In comparison to what I’ve known in the United States, everything about this experience was amazing to me. No parent would let their child tromp through the forest, by themselves, for forty minutes, even if it was to go to school. Not many children at the preschool age let strangers pick them up, and find so much comfort in their presence that they just cling to them and find such joy in just being held.

This taught me a lot about having what the Bible says I need to have: child-like faith. I don’t need to know the plans the Lord has for my life, I don’t need to be afraid of the unknown, but like that child, I need to cling to Him for comfort. I need to trust in who I know He is, and have undying faith in His sweet love for me. And what’s even more amazing was that it took the Lord putting me in the forest, in a foreign country, holding a strange, sweet and loving child, to realize just how precious I am to the Lord. It reminded me that no matter what happens in my life, He is my rock; He will never leave me nor forsake me, and will love me until my final breath (and forever after that too!!).  I am so silly not to cling to him for all of my life.

This trip has allowed me to realize that I am closest to my Father, when I am furthest from my comfort zone. I have loved every second of my experience!

-- Abbey :)



January 16, 2016

We have all arrived safely in the Dominican Republic. It’s been really awesome to watch people on this trip experience the sights and sounds of the Dominican for the first time as we arrived and went to church. So much dancing, hugging, and smiles were given as the best gifts we could ever receive. We were welcomed warmly. We are all very excited to see what today and Tuesday bring as we teach our classes to teachers and students alike. I will be teaching English classes all day on Tuesday for grades 1-8.

Haiti was wonderful, and so different than what I have experienced here in the DR. Since I didn't have a specific job or subject to teach. Everyone that talked to me in Creole, my automatic response was Spanish, which is an issue since most don’t speak Spanish there. My favorite part of the whole trip was riding in the cattle truck- I stood the whole time, absorbing as much of the beautiful terrain as I could. The kids were adorable, and my favorite school that I visited was Chardene. Driving up a dried river bed with trees hitting me was adventurous, all worth it, for sure.

 Mackenzie Lyon






January 17, 2016

Sunday in Barahona… a day to regroup and gain momentum for the days ahead with our teachers and students.  After a Saturday night revival service in the Creole church, our morning and afternoon were spent prepping for an in-service and processing all we had experienced.  Our day closed with a final revival service and so many hugs that our hearts are overflowing.


Over the years, a highlight has been seeing the building process of the Creole church.  Walking on the ground, dreaming of a church with Pastor Moise, visiting the building as it was in process of being built and then worshiping with our Creole speaking family overwhelms my heart.  It is an honor to have been a part of their story and makes me excited for the days to come in Haiti and the Dominican.   One thought that has been shared over and over is that while we cannot change the whole world, we can change the world for someone and that is what matters. 

-- Nicole




January 18, 2016

Today our team presented five different sessions to the teachers at Ebenezer School.  It was a scheduled in-service day for the teachers.  The sessions included a presentation by Mary Jo Williams on effective schools and teaching techniques to improve achievement.  Steve Amstutz presented a session on the scientific method and did a number of experiments that the teachers really enjoyed.  The last session prior to lunch was on thematic units, presented by Becky Cronkleton.

Following lunch prepared by the staff at the school, Judy Shick talked with the teachers about using fables and music as techniques to engage students and help them retain what they have learned.  Our physical education crew taught teachers about the five fitness components, and demonstrated games using equipment they brought made of nylon hosiery.  These were made into balls, Frisbees, jump ropes, and stretch bands.

We have one more scheduled day at the school tomorrow, and will be working with the school children in their classrooms.  We are committed to making our last day as meaningful as possible, and finishing strong! 

Bendiciones,

Mary Jo Williams, Steve and Jana Amstutz






January 19, 2016

Greetings from the Dominican Republic!  It was another full day for our team of teachers. I had the pleasure of playing Science Teacher Assistant to Steve’s Science Professor Performance. I actually learned a great deal and the students were absolutely astonished.  It was amazing to see how mesmerized they were by simple science concepts. Steve put on quite the performance and had them eating out of his hand. 

As we begin to pack up to prepare for our morning departure, I can honestly say that I have lived a lifetime in one week.  As a first time missionary to Haiti/DR, I have been overwhelmed by sights, sounds, smells and emotions. (Did I mention smells?)

 I am certain that my first few days back in the states will find me continuing to process this experience. Words and pictures can never convey the reality of being with the people of these countries.

God did not create third world people. We are all created in His image and, while the world may assign us a perceived value, we are all created with an inherent value.  It is exciting to see the impact Mission Possible has had in a relatively short period of time.  I am exceedingly grateful for the opportunity I have had to serve, and I praise God for His daily provision, mercy and grace as he walked beside this first world girl in these third world countries. (Anne’s part)

Today we were privileged to teach students at the Ebenezer school after teaching their teachers yesterday.  We all noticed and were thrilled that the teachers were already utilizing concepts they learned yesterday with today’s activities.  It was another full day with rising at 5:30 a.m. to prepare breakfast, teaching until 3:00 p.m., actually taking a walk through Barahona and putting our feet in the Caribbean, eating Dominican meals, shopping for larimar jewelry from a local vendor, packing to leave and final devotions with these dear friends we have made.  We have been so blessed with the sharing of devotions and worshiping together!

We are ready to return home for a warm shower and be with our families and friends, but we are leaving part of our hearts here. (Judy’s half)

“The time is now, come church arise
Love with His hands, see with His eyes
Bind it around you, let it never leave you
And they will know us by our love.”

Anne Ricketts & Judy Shick







No comments:

Post a Comment